Twenty Eleven theme is a good nice looking theme. It’s a default theme for WordPress version 3.0 and above. I use it for my Bahasa Indonesia’s Kumpulan Buku A. Fatih Syuhud. The minus point of this theme is the sidebar not showing on a page or a single post. So, what you put on these single post or pages will not show to the reader who come from Google search which is directed to the single post or page.
There are some solutions though. One through plugin and another through creating a child theme which is not supposed to be easy if you are just a beginner in php/html things.
USING TWENTY ELEVEN PLUGINS
The easiest way to show the sidebar in Twenty Eleven Theme is by using Twenty Eleven Theme Extensions. With this plugin you have the choises to:
- Add the widget sidebar to all pages, and single-post pages.
- Optionally center the navigation links at the top of single-post pages with a sidebar.
- Adjust the alignment of sidebar widget titles.
- Automatically turn sticky posts into single-line headlines to alert your readers of something important.
- And many other features
Here’s what you need to do to install this plugin:
- Login to your self-hosted WordPress blog/website.
- Plugins -> Add New
- On search box, write: Twenty Eleven Theme Extensions
- It should be shown in the first result ->
- Click Install Now
- Click Activate Plugin.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE TWENTY ELEVEN THEME EXTENSIONS
To customize it is simple as follows:
- Click Appearance-> Theme Extensions
- You have many choices to check or uncheck do whatever you want.
- Click Save Changes if you are done.
INFO ABOUT TWENTY ELEVEN THEME EXTENSIONS
Add the widget sidebar to all pages, and single-post pages.
Optionally center the navigation links at the top of single-post pages with a sidebar.
Adjust the alignment of sidebar widget titles.
Automatically turn sticky posts into single-line headlines to alert your readers of something important.
the default height of the banner image in the header.
Add custom CSS styles for your site safely, in a place that won’t be overwritten when you update WordPress or Twenty Eleven.
Modify twelve individual theme colors directly from the Theme Options admin page.
If you want to add your own color settings, now you can with the moz_theme_custom_colors filter.
Access the Theme Options and Theme Extensions pages directly from the admin menu bar on your home page.
Any child themes using the template twentyeleven have all the Theme Extensions available to them.
HOW TO SHOW THE SIDEBAR IN PAGES WITHOUT PLUGINS
You can show the sidebar in pages by editing manually every pages (not posts) as follows:
- After login to your admin -> click Pages ->
- Click Page you want to edit. Example, About page
- In Page Attribute -> Template -> pick Sidebar Template
- Click Update. Done.
Do it repeatedly if you have more than one Pages.