How to create a sitemap for WordPress.com and submit it to Google Webmaster Tools.
Creating a sitemap for a self-hosted wordpress blog is easy. All you need is installing Google XML Sitemap Plugins. Activate it. And you’re done. But how to make a sitemap for a wordpress.com blog? Can we do it? The answer is yes. You can create a wordpress.com’s sitemap. Here’s how:
- If you don’t have CATEGORIES included in your sidebar, go to your Sidebar Widgets editor and include it.
- Open a page of your blog up so that you can see the CATEGORIES sidebar with all the categories listed.
- Carefully highlight all of the categories in the CATEGORIES box and copy them to the clipboard.
- Press CTRL-C for PC.
- Press CMD-C for Mac.
- Open the Manage Pages part of your Dashboard and create a new page.
- Paste the contents of the clipboard into the editor.
- Press CTRL-V for PC.
- Press CMD-V for Mac.
- Edit the list as you see fit.
- Remove extraneous categories like “Uncategorized.”
- Create a “Recommended” or “Most Popular” list of categories above or in place of the alphabetized list.
- Add static, descriptive text before or after the list.
- Bold certain categories to make them stand out.
- Name the page and save it.
- If you don’t want to have a separate sidebar listing of categories, go back and remove the CATEGORIES Sidebar Widget.
Don’t forget that pages created in this way are NOT self-updating like the CATEGORIES widget in the sidebar. You’ll have to redo the entire process every time you add a new category to any post, or you’ll have to learn how to edit the page yourself to add the category and the link.
How to submit a WordPress.com’s sitemap:
- After login to your Google Webmaster Tools -> Add Your Site at ADD SITE.
- Click the ubmitted website / blog-> click Submit Sitemap.
- Enter this code -> sitemap.xml -> Submit Sitemap. Done.